The journey of restoring the legendary Seiko 6105 (updated!)

06:03:00

I was Graced with the opportunity to help restore a 6105, the holy grail for Seiko lovers, I'm really excited to see this timeless beauty come back to life.


I went ahead to K2 Watch co, a well renowned Seiko repairman in Singapore. Located at Tanjong Katong complex, its a 5 minute walk away from Paya Lebar. If you have vintage Seikos that need servicing and you're situated in Singapore, do swing by!


Apparently i learnt from him that this 6105 didn't have original hands and lume. Other than that, the dial, the movement, the bracelet and the case were all original. The movement is rather rusty but its not something that Mr Goh can't fix.


The original hands and lume on the 6105 is supposed to be dulled as they have corroded over the years due to moisture that enters the watch through the turn lock crown.

The turn lock crown, unlike the screw lock crown does not offer as much moisture protection. Hence, over a long span of time, moisture is bound to be found inside the case. Rust and corrosion is common in these vintage Seiko pieces.

I came to a tenacious decision to not change the crystal of the stunning vintage piece because I thought it would look really weird if the the worn out bezel is not changed as well.

It doesn't really make sense to change both the crystal and the bezel because it wouldn't have as much character and depth as it used to have before. Hence, I kept both.

After about a two weeks wait, I received no news about the 6105. Hence, I rang K2 up only to find out that the gearbox is broken as well and they will require another week or so for the new gearbox he ordered to arrive.

Another week gone by and the long awaited message from K2 informing me to retrieve my 6105 arrived.

Within the same week, I made a trip down to K2 during the weekends and I was delighted to find that he found me an aftermarket lume to replace one of the missing ones on the markers.

Not only that, the 6015 now keeps time perfectly. I had it for about half a day and so far it is able to keep time as accurately as my laptop does. Although I'm not sure how long this will last, I will continue to keep track of the accuracy of this time piece and do a proper review about it.

Meanwhile, its time to find a nice waffle strap for this timeless beauty!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Cant read english? Translate it right here!

Popular Posts

Flickr Images