My insight on wrist watches

13:06:00

Started off as pocket watches with bracelets, wrist watches has been around for many many years with many many different perspectives on its true purpose on the wrist. Today, I will give you a brief insight on my watch collection as of now.


When I was 7, I got my very first watch. A Quartz timex ironman indiGLO. I absolutely loved the LED's glow at that point of time and it was everything I needed in a watch. Telling me the day and date while keeping time at such an impeccable accuracy. I cant be expecting anything less than perfect for the accuracy of a quartz watch.


For a couple of years, that watch never left my wrist. I wore it to the showers and I wore it school. It served me well, kept me informed of my timings. However, all good things come to an end, so did the relationship with my timex ironman indiGLO as well. It ran out of juice and I wasn't bothered about changing the battery. So I basically left it forgotten

When I hit 13, I got my very first automatic watch. An entry level diver watch which I would deem as the very first serious watch that changed the way I viewed watches. I got an orient orange mako. I loved the bright orange and it matched many bright outfits I wore at the  age of 13. I adored the idea of automatic winding. However, the 40 hour power reserve seem to get in the way of my daily routine as under charged due to underusage. Nevertheless, many wonderful memories were created as I wore the orient orange mako for a good 4 years.

When I turned 18, My birthday gift was a Seiko solar chronograph, the Seiko SSC009P3. Absolutely mind-blown by the idea of charging watches using solar energy, that was partly the reason why I took up clean energy management course for my diploma. 

I fell deeply in love with the chronograph complication as well. 

I somehow preferred an analoge stopwatch rather than a digital one as I adored the idea of seeing the seconds tick by while timing a certain process.

Having owned 4 watches at this point of time, my perspective on watches began to change as well.

It's not just a fashion statement nor is it just plainly for keeping time. 

Watches are actually a form of art to be appreciated. As my appreciation for watches grew, I did a lot more reading online to find out about the art of watchmaking by many other companies.

I tried to understand how many watches have a price tag to it and how the price tags were derived.

When I turned 21, I was blessed to receive a Seiko Sumo as a gift.

At the age of 21 the Seiko sumo was something I could only dream of. A mid range Seiko diver which I could barely afford. A 200m diver with the premium 6R15 movement from Seiko

The well constructed sumo with a timeless diver look led me to believe that there are great watches out there which are really affordable.

It hit me as I started my national service journey that I needed a watch that can take many many hits and be unscathed.

This was the time where I turned back to my trusty timex ironman indiGLO.

As I changed the battery and the hardened rubber strap that broke off, many memories I had with this watch came back to me. It was a truly nostalgic experience. 

Again, my perspective on watches changed. To understand a true value of a watch, it's history must be considered as well. To me, this timex ironman indiGLO had a history with me that no money can buy in this world.

In a matter of months, I began to develop interest in watches with a rich history as well. The Seiko 6309's timeless cushion case design was what attracted me initially and ultimately I find myself wanting a Seiko 6105 more as the story behind it was much more interesting.

The Seiko 6105 was a holy grail to me which was yet again gifted to me. I was extremely delighted with my current collection.

Life is pretty much complete for me now till I find my next holy grail.

Many of my peers ask me why I seem more interested Seiko/orient and not AP, Patek and IWC. Brands that screams of wealth and success. Aren't these watches more ideal?

My answer to them is this "The idea of an ideal wrist watch is man-made. Something that is fabricated by yourself. I do fancy certain pieces from Rolex. However, I feel that these watches should only be attained when you have attained a certain level of success. Overall, every watch out there is an art that is waiting to be appreciated. One man's meat might be another man's poison. Just because you don't appreciate doesn't mean other people can't. The true value of a watch is measured by yourself and only you"

I'm pretty sure that as I continue to collect, my take on wrist watches will continue to change.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Cant read english? Translate it right here!

Popular Posts

Flickr Images